A modest archival collection is maintained on the history of Vassar Brothers Medical Center, formerly known as Vassar Brothers Hospital. Items of interest include the original Board meeting minutes from 1884-1924, original accounting ledger from 1887-1900, hundreds of photographs, medical items, and School of Nursing transcriptions and yearbooks.
Send an inquiry via e-mail, or call 845-437-3121. Open to history students and historians by appointment.
First hospital in Dutchess and Ulster Counties - April 11, 1887
Structures built after the main hospital -- Horse barn and perimeter stone wall
Employees -- 1 head nurse, 2 bedside nurses, 1 cook, 1 gardener, 1 maintenance man, 1 supervisor
Ambulance -- 1892 - one-horse carriage with lamp; to be used for hospital patient transportation only and "not for the transfer of infectious patients or dead bodies"; purchase price = $550
Library -- 9,000 volumes purchased for $5,000 from an MD's private collection in Sing-Sing, Westchester Cty; called "The Fisher Library"
Library/Board Room and Nursing Residence building -- 1898
First major building addition -- Surgery and patient care wing, 1924
From the Archives . . .
Chef Roble was interviewed by Katie on 4/15/14 The Katie Show. He spoke of his grandfather's legacy and showed a photo of his grandfather as a chef in the kitchen of Vassar Brothers Hospital in the 1960s.
Photo at left - image from HRVH
Photo at right - Chef Roble & Katie Couric, with Chef Harris in background image
View the clip from The Katie Show below:
Knowledge Resources, Vassar Brothers Medical Center | 45 Reade Place, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601 | 845.483.6013